3 Salad Recipes for Warmer Weather
With the temperature starting to warm up, here at Nutrivitality, we’re starting to think about eating something a bit lighter and a bit healthier. Let’s face it, that beach body never happens by itself. While a few salads won’t give you a beach body, it’s not going to do you any harm, so we’ve come up with three salad recipes we’ll be eating this summer.
Chicken Caesar Salad – Serves 2
1 chicken breast
1/2 cos lettuce, torn up and rinsed
75ml chicken stock
75g parmesan, grated
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 and a half tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
1 anchovy fillet, rinsed (optional)
180g white bread – cut into small cubes
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan, season the chicken with salt and pepper and then add to the pan.
- Fry the chicken for 5 minutes or until the skin is golden. Turn over and fry the chicken breast for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken to an ovenproof dish and pour the stock around it. Place the dish in the oven and cook the chicken for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place the cubed bread on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with oil and add to the oven for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add the parmesan and vinegar to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, anchovy (if using), salt, and a dash of oil and blend again.
- Add the lettuce to a large bowl, pour some dressing on the leaves and mix.
- Add the croutons and some more anchovies (optional) and add the rest of the dressing.
- Cut the chicken breast into slices and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle with some more parmesan and serve.
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad – Serves 2
2 large tomatoes, sliced approximately ½ cm thick
1 mozzarella ball, slice ½ cm thick
A handful of basil leaves
- In a dish layer a slice of tomato, mozzarella and a basil leaf in the dish. You can play around making patterns or layer them vertically.
- Drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top.
- Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tip. This work great as an appetiser or as a side dish to your main meal.
Broccoli Pasta Salad – serves 2
80g wholewheat fusilli
160g broccoli florets
125g green beans, trimmed and halved
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Hard-boil the egg for 8 minutes. Then shell and halve them.
- Boil some water in a pan. When the water is boiling, add the pasta for 5 minutes and then add the broccoli and green beans and cook until everything is tender about 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, reserve some pasta water and tip the pasta and vegetables in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, ginger, olive oil and a splash of pasta water. Mix.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on the top and add the eggs. Serve immediately.